Our summer season started in June in Seattle where 30 youth leaders from across the United States met for our first annual Interfaith Youth Summit.
During 24 youth-planned and youth-led sessions, these leaders learned, led, and took action.
- We explored the impact of hate speech on our communities
- We learned how to effectively use social media as a tool for activism
- We deepened our understanding of the role of faith, spirituality, and beliefs in our work as leaders for peace in our communities.
- As these youth travel home, they’re already planning their activism projects for the year. We can’t wait to update you on their progress!
I am not _______, I am _________
During the Summit, youth discussed the assumptions that are often made about them, which minimize their voice and their power. They shared the things that they want people to understand about them as youth activists.
- “I am not cute, I am concerned.”
- “I am not helpless, I am angry.”
- “I am not loud, I am open about my feelings.”
- “I am not cute, I am powerful.”
- “I am not wrong, I am saying something you don’t want to hear.”
- “I am not an overthinker, I am concerned about the future.”
- “I am not too young, I am the future.”